Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Adventures in Bartending:

1) This past Friday found a rather gregarious group of men and women in my bar. They were celebrating a birthday, but that fact alone couldn't account for the level of their mirth. Some regulars began to comment "wow they must be really drunk", but I know drunk and that wasn't it....oh no, it was something much worse - they were ACTORS!! Yes indeed, a theater troop had descended upon our bar.

I sort of have a love/hate relationship with theatre queens. One the plus side it's great to have a bar full of jovial, confident, friendly & chatty people. On the downside, the karaoke turns into all showtunes (*cringe*) and even the pop songs are sung with a musical theaterized flair. Can be great fun, but if you're not in the mood it can be torture. One highlight of the evening was a gentleman who decided to sing "What a Feeling" from Flashdance....I think he might have gotten into the song a tad bit more than he should have when he did a tribute to Jennifer Beals and poured his Vodka & 7 all over himself.... nice...



2) If you attempt to order a cocktail after last call and get denied please do not use the "you never called last call" excuse. Just because you were too drunk to hear it doesn't mean we didn't call it - the karaoke host announced it just before i starting cheering. No amount of pleading or begging will make me change my mind...you're not worth me getting fired...

3) I have been known to wear political shirts a time or two when I am out at a bar, so I won't say not to. If you do though, please be aware you may be alienating a good share of the boys in the bar - especially if you are affiliated with a party that discriminates against the gays and/or women. (for the record i save my ultra-lefty political shirts for when i'm not tending bar). A shirt that says "guns don't kill people, abortion clinics kill people" may reflect your beliefs but is certainly not the best way to get on my good side. And for the record the shirt should read "guns don't kill people, fanatical right wing christians who blow up abortion clinics kill people"

4) thanks to Jimbo for finding this great list . You are not a strong black woman. :)

5 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger The Boy said...

"Whatever"....about the she-bonics....

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger TOS said...

Gurl I agree entirely, leave the she-bonics out of it... gurrrrl LOL

But Seriously folks... I love political bumper stickers and if you look on my lesbionic camry you will see the following plastered all over the back -

Who Would Jesus Bomb?

You can have my gun when you pull it from my cold, paranoid and abusive hand. (got that one when I lived in Virginia :-)

Why are we creating enemies faster than we can kill them?

My personal favorite is:
Charles Shaw for President

And I disagree Jimbo is a proud black woman :-P

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now now - we theater boys and girls have provided you with countless hours of entertainment in bars....and, speaking personally, put one or two of you through college. You know we drink like it's our job....

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger vee. said...

honey, so true about last call. although when i bartended, it was more "i'm tired and i'm not making you another drink because that will extend my night that much longer."

and the t-shirt.

love the blog.

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Jo Holliday said...

I am a bartender as well, with a frequently updated blog. Check it out, if you like it, we could reciprocal link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home