Thursday, November 10, 2005

Another guy bails on me, and I find a hero

1. Last night it was a second attempt at a first date with the guy who writes in shorthand . The first date was supposed to be Monday but he got his schedule mixed up and ended up cancelling. We rescheduled for last night and when I called him to confirm plans he had forgotten about it. At first he said we could still meet up but mentioned he needed to shower and to check his checking account to make sure his direct deposit went through.

Now is it just me or is this just horribly tacky? I know all too well the feeling of having a rapidly depleting checking account, but I certainly don't announce this to a guy before a first date. Anyway, five minutes later he called back and said he couldn't meet up because it was getting too late and he had things he needed to finish up on. But definitely wants to meet up next week.

*sigh*

So whatever. I should have seen it coming. Cancel on me once, shame on you - cancel on me twice, shame on me. The thing is despite his poor email abilities, living in Rockville, and bailing on me once I was gonna give it a fair shot. I can be pretty choosy about who I go on a date with, but once I make the ever-so-rare move of slipping my number to someone while I'm working I'm willing to over-look some initial warning signs (Rockville? Could little car-less me really date someone in Rockville??). Bail on me twice in a row though and you've gone through all your chances....

No biggie though, I secretly wanted to stay home and watch Lost anyway so it worked out. :) Odd little tid-bit though, a couple years back there was another guy who backed-out of dates on me last minute with some frequency. Both that guy and Rockville guy have the first name, David. New rule - never date a David.

2. I found a new personal hero in this article in the New York Times. Dan McCauley, you are a true inspiration. Any of you residents of Chicago who may be reading please immediately head on over to "A Taste of Heaven" to support this man and his noble cause.

My favorite thing about the article is reading the quotes from these entitled parents who think of themselves as victims here:

"You go to a coffee shop or a bakery for a rest, to relax, and that you would have to worry the whole time about your child doing something that children do - really what they're saying is they don't welcome children, they want the child to behave like an adult." - Kim Cavitt, mother of a "boisterous 2 year old

Okay Kim, take a look at what you said. "You go to a coffee shop or a bakery for a rest, to relax..." Now how on earth do you expect those around you to rest and relax when your screaming 2 year old is running around acting wild. Sure kids will be kids but knowing that fact means you should not take them to a coffee shop (restaurant, movie, etc, etc) until they are of an age they can behave themselves. Yes I know it sucks for you, but YOU made that choice to have a child. That choice involves some sacrifices on YOUR part, not on everyone else around you.

I'll close with another favorite quote of mine from the article:

"Whenever a hostess asks me 'smoking or non-smoking?' I respond, 'No kids!' - Janelle Funk

5 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Mr. Bartender said...

Completely underused!

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

completely underused --

but, at the same time, i think parents *should* be cut just a teensy bit of slack, especially for those progenitors of kids who are usually well behaved. While I'm not a fan at all of screaming children, I do kind of feel sorry for parents who appear mortified that their child is misbehaving and are trying to get them to shush -- a far cry from those evil people who just sit back and do nothing as their monster offspring run amok ruining everyone's time.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Mr. Bartender said...

Wufpup - I agree with cutting the responsible parents some slack, but that's what the whole posting the signs like the ones in the article. Basically it's saying it's cool if your kid is here, but if s/he acts up - shut them up or take them outside.

I feel the same way about straight girls in gay bars :)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Dop T said...

I know David and "A Taste Of Heaven". It's around the corner from my house. And I can report that today, following the article and all the news hub-bub that his shop is going full-tilt. Couldn't get a seat at lunchtime.

BTW, anyone who would stand you up is a jackass and you are better off.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger DC said...

Totally agree with you on the david tip, Chip and I both have baaaad experiences with Davids.

And rockville? there is NOTHING good about rockville. trust me, I grew up around here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home