Tuesday, September 27, 2005

This is why I don't go to Results

Last night after work I was feeling kind of tired and debated going straight home, but I knew I needed to go to the gym because I've been slacking a bit lately.

Now I know most people like large gyms, but I chose the one I go to specifically because it's small. Sure it may be lacking some equipment, but when I'm working out I like to be anonymous. I like to be left alone, focus on what I'm doing and not socialize with people I know. I don't want to have to worry about looking all sweaty and gross in front of the hot guy I was cruising at the bar the other night, or having my customer stare at me as I struggle to lift weights that don't appear to be all that heavy.

Generally I don't know anyone at the gym other than the regular gym bunnies who are always there. Last night was different. Within 5 minutes I ran into several randoms from my past:

* a guy I admired from a far until one day I mustered up enough courage to flirt with him. He dismissed me immediately on the spot.

* a guy that I had one date with. During the date it became clear our social networks were far too close and his was far too gossipy for me to put out. I ended things with a short and sweet goodnight kiss and neither one of us attempted date #2.

* a guy that was my first (and very tragic) hookup after having my heart thrown into a shredder a couple years back.

At first I was thrown for a bit of a loop. I started going about my routine adding a couple extra weights to every workout just so it looked more impressive. That, of course, meant my reps were cut down a bunch and I felt I was loosing my form and wasn't getting as good of a workout. Finally I had to talk myself down and say to myself "who cares that they're here - you look a million times better now than when that one rejected you or when you went on a bad date with that one or when you hooked up that other guy." I forced myself to stop being so insecure and continue on about my routine as I normally would.

And even though I managed to put aside my insecurity for a bit, when I had finished with my normal workout I can't tell you how fast I bolted out of that gym...

1 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger DC said...

That's precisely the reason I take my glasses off at the gym, I can see just well enough to know if there's someone using the machine but not well enough to see if they're recognizable or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home