Thursday, October 13, 2005

I Heart Liz Phair

Ohhh such a good time last night!!!

I left work shortly after 5:30 and rushed on home to prepare for the concert. A block away from my house I saw no less than 10 police cars pulling out of the alley I live off of. As I get close I see ATF officers taking photos of 2 guys as they arrest them. I try to maintain a good balance of watching to see what's going and not making eye contact with any of the perps. Hmmm...me thinks I should check out Washington Post to see if they can provide some insight into what was going on.

Anyway, got home, changed and met up with A Sassy Fellow and grabbed a quick pre-concert bite to eat. We got to the 9:30 club and staked out some territory and picked out who would be our boyfriends-for-fake for the evening. The opening act went on, Matt Pond PA, and they certainly were LOUD but great. I'd never heard of them prior to the concert so I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was oodles of auditory goodness. I couldn't quite make out the lyrics, but just loved their sound. I made a mental note to pick up a CD on my way out...

After Matt Pond PA's set was done I ran into Hot Bitch 'N' and Hot Bitch 'K' and they joined Sassy Fellow and me. Liz finally got on stage and started off with an acoustic set which i ADORED.

Now we were standing way in the back against the sound booth and I guess because we were against a wall-like structure this girl felt it was appropriate to set her bottle of beer right next to my feet. I thought it was tacky but didn't say anything right away. It wasn't until the guy next to me knocked the bottle over that I realized this bottle was going to be kicking around all night. Therefore, I felt compelled to say something. So I picked the bottle up and waited until the song was over and walked over to the girl, handed her the bottle and said "if you wanna leave your beer bottle on the ground you should leave it by your feet, not mine - or just find a trash can".

I felt a little bit like a dick for doing that, but the Hot Bitches and Sassy Fellow reassured me I was fine. Liz finished up her acoustic set and then brought the band on stage and just rocked out. She has such a strong stage presence that you can't help but be mesmerized by her. She played soooo much off of Exit In Guyville including 6'1, Divorce Song, Fuck and Run, and Flower (an amazing version she did to start her encore). Had she played Never Said it would have included all my Guyville favorites. I was surprised she didn't do too much new material - especially since she's promoting her new CD (and there are so many great tracks off that - would have LOVED to hear Got My Own Thing)

Anyway, the concert ended and the gang and I explored the merch table and I dished out some cash for a Liz shirt and a Matt Pond PA CD. We all headed back to my place for one final cocktail and then I went to sleep with a big ole' smile on my face from such a great night!

Thanks Liz!!

(on a sad note, Mr. Bartender feels like he may be coming down with a cold and will not be participating in his usual Thursday night shirtless activities.)

2 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger DC said...

Sounds like an awesome concert!! I am also unable to do the shirtless activities as last nights debauchery has left me without a cell phone and with my ID and credit card still at JR's... momma needs a betty ford moment!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger The Boy said...

Mmm.....ladies, I'm going to get wasted after work today at a free republican happy hour, (Dems like free things....well at least I do), then I may even do shirtless Thursday alone....well, actually I may take the tie. cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home